Tomb of Neferhotep TT49
A woman’s offerings became clear after laser cleaning
New Kingdom, 18th Dynasty, c. 1320 B.C.
Thebes, Tomb of Neferhotep (TT49).
Since its construction, the tomb of Neferhotep (late 18th Dynasty) had been used for storing cattle and even as housing. When Jean-François Champollion entered the tomb, he wrote, “Now the tomb is almost completely damaged. The preserved parts make us very sorry for what has been lost.”
However, Champollion’s grief may be soothed now, as due to modern technology, laser cleaning has been able to remove the dirt and soot (due to fires) from the paintings in a delicate exercise, and such technology has brought forth the original art, appearing almost untouched by time.
Read more about the process here.
The tomb of Neferhotep is situated off a courtyard, which also contains the entrances to the tombs of Pakhihet (TT187), Pa-anemwaset (TT362), Paraemheb (TT363) which all date to the end of the 19th Dynasty.
TT49 was the burial place of the ancient Egyptian official Neferhotep, who was a Chief Scribe of Amun. Neferhotep lived during the reign of Tutankhamen, Ay and Horemheb, at the end of the 18th Dynasty of Egypt. He was a son of Neby, who was a servant of Amun and the lady Iuy. His wife was named Merytre.