Statue of the God Horus as a Falcon

Statue of the God Horus as a Falcon

This limestone statue probably comes from a chapel dedicated to the god Horus, in the vicinity of the tomb of King Djer at Abydos. At the time of the discovery, the statue still retained significant remains of its polychromy. The breast was covered with a gold leaf, and the wings still had, in places, the blue color of which they had been painted.

The inscription tells us that this statue was dedicated to the god Horus during the reign of Amenhotep II by a priest named Ahmose, and that it was later restored by the High Priest of Osiris at Abydos, Yuyu, at the time of Merneptah.

New Kingdom, mid 18th Dynasty, reign of Amenhotep II, ca. 1427-1401 BC. Found in three pieces in the upper layer of accumulated rubble west of the tomb of King Djer of the 1st Dynasty in 1895-1896. Now in the Royal Museum of Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgium.

Leave a Reply