This seated statue of the administrator Kai was discovered in November of 1850, at the Memphite Necropolis.
The Memphite Necropolis (or Pyramid Fields) is a series of ancient Egyptian funerary complexes occupying a 30-kilometer (19 mi) stretch on the Western Desert plateau in the vicinity of the ancient capital of Memphis, Lower Egypt, today in Giza, Egypt. It includes the pyramid complexes of Giza, Abusir, Saqqara and Dahshur, and is listed as the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Memphis and its Necropolis. Most of the pyramids of the Old Kingdom were built here, along with many mastabas and other tombs.
The statue dates from around 2500-2365 B.C., placing it between the 4th-5th Dynasties, and it is of the typical style of the period, with the simplistic splendour that the Old Kingdom is famous for. The eyes are inlaid with glass, the liner is green, the pigment of the reddish brown skin of Kai remains upon the limestone, his wig is perfectly in place.
Painted limestone seated statue of the Administrator Kai
Old Kingdom, 4th-5th Dynasty, c. 2500-2365 B.C.
Discovered at the Memphite Necropolis.
Now at the Musée du Louvre. E 3024